السبت، 13 أبريل 2013

Opinion: Giving All to #Libya! - by Zanjabeel Almahdawi

People who know me describe me as “a citizen of the world”. Not a bad description I would say. I have held citizenship of four countries and to be honest with the readers, I still hold more than one. I have been (and still am) a citizen of Libya despite spending only my childhood years in this country. I've also been a citizen of Italy, England and Malta. Some I still hold.

Most of the people I talk to call me lucky to have had such diverse experiences. But to tell you the truth, what I am most proud of, particularly after the February 17 2011 Revolution is to call myself “a Libyan”.

I feel most unlucky not to have spent more time in Libya, but that wasn't of my own choice. I was still quite young when my father could not take it any more living in fear under the Gaddafi regime because he questioned some of the dictator's decisions and he literally had to flee the country.

My father first took off to Malta and after a few months managed to bribe some officials to let us, the rest of the family, to leave his beloved Libya and start afresh in a new country.

After some years and when we thought we had settled down, with me and my brothers registered in a very good school in Malta, my father once again felt persecution as he learned from high authority that Libyans who had escaped from the clutches of the regime were on the wanted list (hatchet list) of the regime, and I remember him telling me that a particular member of the so-called Popular Office in Malta was all out to get him. He would not leave him in peace.

He was on the run again, and the only alternative was to leave Malta and and for a third time, again try to make a new life for him and his family. This time he made it to England where he was very welcome and was recognised for his skills as a medical doctor. At the same time, he left me and my brother in Malta where we could finish our schooling.

Me and my brother were so grateful to my father, the Maltese authorities and our teachers who at times went out of their way to help us make it. When we left school in Malta we were well prepared and continued our studies in the UK where we excelled and managed to graduate, my brother in medicine and me as an engineer.

My family always hoped we could, in time, return to Libya where, through our professions, we could help the country prosper. But with the Gaddafi regime in power there was no way we could return to settle there.

I am now 52 years old, accomplished and still in love with Libya. Unluckily, for about 30 years I could only make three trips to Libya, on two occasions to give my last farewells to my grand parents who died while we were living in Malta and London.

My profession has also taken me to Italy where I also always felt welcome but I really longed to set foot again in Libya and be able to contribute towards its future.

Both my parents are dead now. My only regret is that they could not visit Libya for the last time while they were still healthy, and that I could not take them to be buried in Libya., where they were both born.

Our parents always thought us to love Libya as our homeland, and though I am not that conversant in the Arabic language, I wanted to help and even made one clandestine visit to Libya during the Revolution.

I helped financially the then rebels but could not stay there all the time. I had a family, an English wife and two kids to look after in the UK. I just could not leave them there fearing for my well being.

But since the revolution I have made frequent visits to Libya and hopefully, in time I will return to not only help in the rebuilding, but also establish myself there.

Having said that, I hope that the Libyans take pride in fact that they are Libyans. They must forget all divisions and live as one people. There have been many, like my father who suffered under the previous regime. Not all the people working in government departments were bad. They to needed to make a living and we must recognise that.

I understand that many people, including those in some high positions were more loyal to the country than to the regime. But they could not show dissent for obvious reasons. They toiled on regardless. Libya could still use these people who want to work for the new Libyan government, therefore they must be given a chance.

These people have the experience. They must recognise that the king (old regime) is dead but to also wish long life to the new king (the new government). If they want to work and are ready to be part of a new Libya they must be given the chance, even if they held positions in the old regime.

Libya must use all its potential. This has been a case similar to what happens in democracies when a new government is elected. The “losers” understand the change and keep on working. Why shouldn't Libyans do the same?

We must all give our all to Libya. That way, I am sure, many will join me when I say that I am proud to be Libyan!
 tripoli post

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق